Supporting International Students
Careers workshops for universities, institutes, and student programs.
Thousands of international students and researchers come to Germany every year to study in Germany's excellent higher education system. For these students, finding a job after graduation or the end of a research program can be challenging. Without a clear picture of where you're headed or what might be open to you in Germany with your skills, language proficiency, and background, it's easy to get lost or off-track.
In my workshops, I focus on the hidden and implicit knowledge about the German job market, German employers - and the rules, norms, and expectations surrounding the application process - that German students may already be familiar with. I explore how employers view candidates, what rules and regulations influence hiring, and what a typical career path might look like in specific fields. Each workshop is designed with your students in mind - please get in touch if you'd like to learn more!
- What cultural values play a role in the German workplace?
- How might cultural values influence employer expectations?
- How is the job market structured? How flexible are career paths in Germany?
- What are my rights as an employee? What requirements are there for employers?
- How do these values, rights, and requirements shape the hiring process?
- What do I need to know about the job search and job postings?
- What does it mean to be highly qualified? What does my degree qualify me for?
- Where do I look for jobs? How should I interpret German job postings?
- What do I need to know the application? How can I create a persuasive CV and cover letter?
- How can I convince German employers that I’m the best candidate for the job?
- What do I want? What do I need? What are my goals?
- What are my skills and qualifications? What are my strengths? Where do I see challenges?
- What tools exist to help me understand and explore my options in the German job market?
- What (concrete) steps can I take to achieve my career goals?
- What career paths are available for researchers and academics?
- What does my PhD or post-doctoral research qualify me for?
- What is the temporary scientific research contract and what role does it play in the job market?
- How do I transition from academia to industry?
- What tools and strategies exist to help me choose the best path for me?
- What should I expect from a job interview in Germany?
- How might German cultural values and communication styles play a role in the interview process?
- What do I need to know about assessment centers?
- How can I best prepare for my (online or in-person) interview?
The workshop was really insightful and helpful! I (finally) understand what I do wrong and what I need to correct in order to have higher chances of getting a job in Germany, now as a student and later on as a professional
I really liked that the workshop was interactive and included a lot of useful information. Really appreciate additional resourses and reccommendations that were given. I find the workshop perfect and have no suggestions for improvement.
Amanda made this course wonderful. Love the pace, Love the info, Love the examples. I feel saved, motivated and it’s mission possible.
I learned many things about how German employers expect on applicants. Actually, I attended serval career events before, but they seldom explained German culture in business very well. In fact, this is very helpful to me as foreigner. Please keep doing it in the future.
The session was a great one, indeed. Couldn’t have asked for me.
I learned a lot and Amanda was great! She answered all questions, was very kind and explained everything really well. I would love to be in another seminar with her. The graphics and comparisons where really good. It makes me feel better that I am not the only struggling.
It was perfect. I learned a lot!
This is a test